Friday 9 December 2011

Bronze pour


Today we did the bronze pour, it was great to see and very warm. The bronze is now cooling and I can't wait to see my cast cupcake on Monday.



The bronze is heated to 1100 degrees Celsius.


It is then lifted out in a carbon pot.


The impurities are skimmed off the top of the molten bronze.

The bronze is poured into the sand/plaster mix molds. (the wax structure was encased in the plaster sand combo and then put in a kiln to dry out and for the wax to melt out, so the plaster can be poured in).


It will take a day to cool.


The left over bronze cooling.

It's a lengthy process but should be worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Laura,

    I think it's wonderful that you've

    now made bronze sculptures,

    thank you for showing the elaborate process

    you've gone through, it's really interesting.

    I'm sure you've loved the experience.

    Can I ask a question?

    What would it cost to make these from your

    initial moulds to the final result?

    Cheers

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark!

    Hard to say really, but not much, you can use a silicone cupcake mold to make the wax copy, but rubber and clay is better, then there's the cost of the plaster/sand. The bronze itself only cost me £6, so I would say under £10, though the cost is probably slightly higher if you use a rubber mold.

    ReplyDelete